everybody's talkin'

“I will never forget who this victory truly belongs to; it belongs to you. And to those Americans whose support I have yet to earn, I may not have won your vote, but I hear your voices. I need your help, and I will be your president, too.”

Yesterday I woke up and was immediately a big ball of anxiety. I voted before work, and only had a five minute wait, which was a relief. But the anxiety continued throughout the workday. After work, I took a walk just to alleviate some of the tension in my shoulders and stomach. Then I went home and started watching the election coverage with Shon, and the anxiety finally started to disappear for good, replaced with an ever-growing excitement.

And a few drinks.

I’m not going to belabor you with the usual talking points – making history, a new dawn for America, etc. You’re going to hear that everywhere for the next few days, weeks, months, years… What I am going to say is that HOLY SHIT, there is a weight off of my mind, and HOLY SHIT, I am so excited about the next four years!

My roommate and I don’t have cable, so we watched the election coverage on the local news. When it became apparent that the local news wasn’t going to show Obama’s speech, we high-tailed it to a gay bar with cable TV. And the amount of emotion that everyone displayed during the speech was nothing short of amazing. Afterward, our friend John hugged us both. Frankly, it was beautiful. I went home and went to sleep in a happy haze.

The world’s view of Obama’s win:
Yay!

And a columnist from the Buffalo News whom I’ve always enjoyed:
Donn Esmonde

On a related topic:
Apparently Carrie Underwood said,
“There is someone I do support, but I don't support publicly. I lose all respect for celebrities when they back a candidate. It's saying that the American public isn't smart enough to make their own decisions. I would never want anybody to vote for anything or anybody just because I told them to. Music is where you go to get away from all the BS. Whether it's from politics or just the world around you, music should be an escape.”

OK – I am so sick of people (including other “celebrities”) saying that celebrities can’t/shouldn’t endorse anyone. Are celebrities not Americans? Are they not allowed to care as much about politics as the rest of us? Or are they just not allowed to show that they care? As far as I’m concerned, it’s not a celebrity’s fault if people are going to blindly follow or blindly disagree with anything that s/he says; it’s downright UNAMERICAN to say that celebrities should keep their mouths shut when it comes to politics.

Also, “music should be an escape”?!? Tell that to Bob Dylan, dipshit! Public Enemy! Pearl Jam!

“‘This victory,’ said Bill Burton, the Buffalo native who serves as Obama’s press secretary, ‘was proof that sometimes, when you work as hard as you can for a cause that pits hope against fear, in a contest that starts as far less than certain — against all odds — yes, you can.’” – from the Buffalo News, 11/5/08

I end with a blog of pure awesome:

Right here.

Comments

Popular Posts