Smilla's Sense of Snow

I was reading through this list of Amber Tamblyn's favorite books, and not to spoil it for you, but Smilla's Sense of Snow made the list!! "Smilla" is one of my favorite novels as well; not only is the mystery enthralling, but I think that this is the first time I can remember a female character being unlikeable and prickly, and not really caring what anyone thought. Or, as Amber Tamblyn put it, " The lead character goes from being an inquisitive, quiet girl to a violent, powerful force by the end of the book, all while solving a murder that keeps unfolding new twists and turns."



My mom got HBO Now so that she could watch Game of Thrones, and I scrolled through the available movies after we watched the latest episode on Sunday. I was SO excited when I saw that the movie version of "Smilla" was on there, because Netflix didn't have it, even in disc. I made sure to watch the movie on Monday, and mom really liked it, and even Owen paid attention for most of the movie. I love Julia Ormond, who was perfect as Smilla, and the movie followed the book pretty closely. And I loved Gabriel Byrne as the mechanic, although Owen kept yelling about my "old boyfriend with the white beard." 

Um...



...I DON'T THINK SO!!




...I really don't. 

This is the point in the summer when I tend to start longing for snow and cold, just a little, subconsciously. My waking mind is getting excited for autumn and falling leaves and pumpkin beers and Halloween, but my dreams start to have a snowy, dark backdrop. Instead of searching for hazy summer images, I want chill starkness.

     

Perfection. 



Comments

Popular Posts