bosom companions

Every time I remember that this blog exists, and decide that I want to write here (sorry, blog), I wonder if I should give some kind of big update about my life. But really, my life doesn't change that much, and you've heard it all before - I like my job, and I like to be home a lot with the cats, and I like my place to be clean and tidy, and I like to spend a lot of time with my family and friends. I like to read, and write in my journal, and walk, and drink tea and beer, and eat whatever I want, and I'm not into dating or dieting or travelling to exotic locales, or hearing unsolicited opinions about my life as I live it.

So consider this my notice that my life goes on as usual when I'm not here writing about it.

I think my one big update is that my bosom companions, Ami and Jon, are up and moving to Nashville, which is definitely going to change some things in my life. Ami is the one who gets me out of the house when I get a little too into being alone than is healthy, and she and Jon have been fellow concert-goers and fun-havers for years and years. Even just going to their apartment to hang out is quite a lovely social event for me. They actually hosted a wonderful 40th birthday party for me in June, and my friends and family came to celebrate with me, and there was such a great aura around the whole night, while I was experiencing it, and in my memory about it.

Oh, I guess that's another update - I turned 40, and it was pretty rad. And 40 is NOT the new 20, because I was a real dumbass at 20. Now I feel like I have this awesome, witchy energy, and no one can step to my witchy ass. So. 40 rocks and rules.

Anyway, I'm already planning my first visit with Ami and Jon, and I know we'll talk all the time. I'm so happy that they are going to be nearer to Ami's sister, and growing their professional lives. I wish them all the happiness in the world. And I've already promised not to hermit too much.

And at some point I'm going to have to swing down to San Antonio to visit another friend, Serife, who is moving away. I'm sad that I never got to teach her how to do makeup the Sarah way. (It's a LOT of color. Seriously, a lot.)

*~*~*~*~*

I was browsing through an email from Brandless.com about their new products, and I thought, "Ooh, recipe cards!" But then I looked at the cards, and they want PRECISE INGREDIENT INFORMATION, and I don't cook like that. And I don't know how many people the recipe will serve, and I don't measure, and every recipe changes every time I make it, subject to my whims.

I do love Brandless, though. Everything on their site is $3, and everything I've gotten has been pretty good quality. And I do not get paid for this endorsement.

*~*~*~*~*~*

Even being a summer baby, I'm having a hard time with all of this heat. On Friday, I went to Rushford Lake with my friend Molly, and we had a great time swimming and hanging out. It was nice to swim in a smaller lake and to not let my open-water imagination get away from me - it's very influenced by "Jaws". But on the way home, my thighs starting burning (not in an enjoyable way), and later that night, I realized that I'd been scorched all along my shoulders and upper arms, and from my upper thighs down to the knee. Of course I was wearing SPF 70, rigorously reapplied throughout the day, but obviously the sunscreen didn't work for me. So all weekend I've been overheated and braless, suffering whenever I bend or sit back or lay in certain ways.

None of this is helped by the high heat and humidity that we've been experiencing. I would normally go for a long walk after my Sunday cleaning spree, but today I couldn't fathom the idea of walking in 90 degree heat, with burned skin besides. So I've been sitting in front of a fan, trying to ignore my itchy back.

And the cats have been flopping around wherever they can. For some reason, they prefer the hallway floor to in front of the fan with me. Floyd roams the house a bit more, moving from window to window to watch the birds and rabbits and neighbors, but poor, fluffy Charlotte just splays herself across the floor, occasionally stretching and rolling and showing off her belly before moving to a cooler stretch of floor.

In short, we're kind of over summer. I especially can't wait to wear the black velvet lace-up shoes that I just bought. I'll wear them in the glorious, glorious autumn of my 40th year.

Comments

Popular Posts