some moments (many zombies)

Just some little, recent moments that made me happy about my life:

- Sitting at a bar with Ami and Jon, celebrating some good news for Ami. We had the drinks (wine slushies for me) and the food, and we laughed and talked and were interrupted by a colorful gentleman who banged on the window and waggled his tongue suggestively at us. And I discussed the new zombie features of "Call of Duty: Black Ops 2" with one of the bartenders.

"WINE SLUSHIEEEEEEEEE!"
- Watching older "Tales from the Crypt" episodes, including one of my all-time favorites, "Easel Kill Ya." It stars Tim Roth as a stereotypically starving, alcoholic artist who finally starts making money in the worst way possible. My favorite Tales episodes have the skilled irony of an O. Henry story, mixed with the gore and sex that early '90s HBO was pretty much known for. There were a lot of Tales episodes that sucked, where you could see the irony formula and the "twist" coming from a mile away. But when it's done well, it's done WELL. And Tim Roth is hot.

Murder Painting
- Playing "Left 4 Dead 2" and battling a Tank. Little Miss Lyra came walking through with my brother, and as she walked, she started cheerleading for me, with arm motions and everything. "Go Sarah! Beat the Tank! Kill the Tank!" Since she usually cheers for the zombies, I found this quite remarkable.

KILL IT WITH FIRE.
- Walking with Owen and Kailyne through a very light drizzle. Owen started running around in a little parking lot, acting like a zombie and scaring Kailyne. She was freaking out, so I acted like a zombie and chased Owen, and then we were all shamble-running together. Zombie style. This continued for longer than was strictly necessary, and we must have looked like crazy people. But we enjoyed ourselved immensely.
Pretending

- Driving Owen to his mother's house. I am still not used to having CDs in my car, after 12 years of a tape deck, and I changed all of the CDs on Friday, before I drove down to my mother's. I had no idea what was in the CD player, and when Radiohead's "The Bends" started playing, I wasn't sure that Owen would like it. He's 6, and his taste is appropriately awful for a 6-year-old. But instead of some variation of "YUCK, what is this?", he asked very politely what it was. When I answered, he asked what my favorite song on the album was, and then he asked me to play it. So we spent the rather short drive to Nicky's house listening to "Fake Plastic Trees" and pointing out the best Christmas lights on the way.

Lighting up the night
- Hearing "She's So High" by Tal Bachman on my iPod. I remembered how much I liked the whole CD, and I wondered if he'd released anything else. I did a little research and came across his biography online - he left the Mormon church because he didn't think it made sense, and he'd commented on politics and literature on several Canadian news shows, just all of this interesting stuff. I love it.

"Joseph Smith is full of shi-"

Comments

Popular Posts