"See the cat? See the cradle?"

There's been a bit of a local kerfuffle about a teacher being forced to remove her religious items from her classroom in a public school in Cheektowaga. I believe wholeheartedly in the need for separation of church and state ("state" does include public schools), so I agree with the school district's stance that there is no place in this school for the teacher's religious beliefs, which were both prominently on display and, apparently, used in lessons she taught.

The comments are fascinating to read. A lot of the commenters rightly point out that most of the "Christians" who are horrified by the school district's actions wouldn't be quite so horrified if the teacher put up Muslim or Buddhist or Satanist items and was told to take them down. And I love that it was a student who complained about the teacher using Bible stories in some of her biology lessons.

*~*~*~*

I know, it's been a while, but I have not been getting up to any shenanigans lately. I have been quiet and content. And none of my deep thoughts feel very blog-worthy right now.

Work is going well. I hang out with friends and have a few drinks, when needed. My leisure time has been spent reading or watching a TV show or movie. Mostly reading, voraciously reading, with Floyd in my lap, trying to nuzzle my book. My reading slowed down over the holiday season, but now it's back in high gear, with the prospect of my very first book club membership on the horizon (hooray!). Right now I'm reading "Cat's Cradle" by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr., and I'll be reading "Stone Arabia" by Dana Spiotta for the book club.

I saw "Django Unchained" last weekend, and loved it so much more than "Inglourious Basterds." I knew it was going to be difficult to watch in several places, and it was, but I didn't expect it to be so funny. Tarantino gets a lot of shit for being bombastic sometimes, and I really think he should quit trying to act, but he can do some things. He can do some things.

Otherwise, I have been obsessed with "Pitch Perfect," both the movie and the songs. This morning I woke up with the "Just the Way You Are/Just a Dream" mashup in my head.

Last night I finished the 3rd season of "Six Feet Under," and it destroyed me. I watched the first season when it was on HBO, but then I moved to Buffalo for grad school, so no more HBO, but my friend Julia owns all of the seasons and is letting me borrow them. And JESUS. That show is so good it makes me hurt. Especially the finales.

Comments

Popular Posts