Stoker

I love Design*Sponge's Living In series - the writers post stills from and blurbs about their favorite movies, accompanied with items that evoke the movies' atmosphere, which the reader can purchase. The idea, of course, being that we would all love to live in these movies.

One of my favorite genres is the Gothic family drama/mystery. I would love to live in some of my favorite books: The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield, We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson. I like dark, unsettling tales focusing on monied (or formerly monied), insular, odd families.




I saw the movie Stoker on Sunday afternoon, and it was a movie after my own heart. I can't say too much without giving anything away, but the film is about a young woman, India, whose father has just died, and how she and her emotionally brittle mother deal with the appearance of India's sinister, beautiful uncle. Who no one knew existed. Dun Dun DUN.

We have the huge, gorgeous house out in the Connecticut countryside, removed from town. We have a family that barely seems to speak, shaken by the death of a father and the appearance of a family member never mentioned before.



We have a constant, dreamlike feeling that something peculiar is going on. And there is a sort of distorted quality of time, heightened by the camera's fixation on items from another era - saddle shoes, a vintage Jaguar. It wasn't until halfway through the movie that I realized that it was set in the present day, not the early 1960s.



I loved this movie. I loved the atmosphere of this movie, especially. I loved the house, which managed to be both light-filled and foreboding. I loved the clothing. I loved India's quiet watchfulness (Mia Wasikowski is perfectly cast). Oh, and Matthew Goode.




Matthew Goode.



So I have a new movie obsession, and it would be downright criminal if Design*Sponge doesn't do a post about this movie at some point.

Comments

Popular Posts