I really have to learn how to let things go. I need to believe that when someone who doesn't even know me treats me like an idiotic child that it isn't actually about ME. It's about them.

Yesterday I had two people treat me horribly, for no good reason that I could see. The first person called my work, and I was able to shake that off, because she obviously believed that being rude and condescending was going to make her seem like she was taking care of business. Even though she didn't know what she was talking about, and couldn't do basic math.

The second person yelled at me about my cat, while I was on my porch. And it's not so much what she said as how she said it, like she was my mother, disapproving of me. And that is something I cannot abide. I've had older coworkers and acquaintances do the disapproving mother act with me, and nothing gets to me quite like that does. Yesterday, on my porch, in the lovely afternoon sun, I was pretty much verbally slapped in the face by someone I don't know.

Now, I am getting better with time. As a teenager and into my early twenties, I was so resentful, and I never forget anything. It did take me a while to quit thinking about how angry I was, about all of the things I should have said, but I am improving. But I would like to get to the point where I can calmly and coolly tell someone to mind their own business, rather than being shocked into silence by undeserved rudeness.

*~*~*~*

My birthday celebrations are kicking into gear. A friend is taking me to Merge tomorrow for dinner (their fried pickles are amazing). And on Friday I am buying myself a little present, a tattoo that I've been talking about for eons, it seems.

I am getting this on my right forearm:

Comments

Popular Posts